Shelter Advocate - Overnight
Company: Sojourner Center
Posted on: May 28, 2023
Provides safety, support and resources for individuals and families
through case management within the framework of a variety programs
and a focus on addressing trauma related to domestic violence.
Engages with residents in one-on-one case management sessions,
assisting residents in identifying and addressing individualized
needs, offering resources and education.
Hours: Tues -Thurs: 9p - 6a / Friday - Saturday 11p-8a
Compensation: $15.00 / Hour
- Recognizes and effectively responds to impacts of domestic
violence and other trauma.
- Works with staff in, a team environment, and with residents,
providing objective support and maintaining professional
- Provides ongoing modeling, support, referrals, and resources,
taking crisis calls and coordinating services.
- Provides family support within the scope of the cultures of the
families served, which may include rotating child care supportive
- Provides welcome tours and shelter entry services. Orients
clients to shelter environment, guidelines, and requirements.
Ensures that appropriate shelter guidelines are practiced. Assists
clients in identifying and fulfilling immediate needs.
- Fulfills other administrative/operational duties as needed,
including providing bus passes, completing babysitting agreements,
and assisting with proposals and grievances.
- Builds rapport and a positive sense of community.
- Monitors participants' self-administration of medications.
- Identifies/adapts to crisis events, applying crisis
intervention and prevention techniques.
- Provides on-site facility coordination services, including
monitoring gates, completing safety checks, cleaning and preparing
rooms, monitoring the cleanliness of the campus, and providing
cleanup when needed, submitting work orders, and locking/unlocking
- Documents services in accordance with established policies and
procedures, in a timely fashion.
- Participates in all required service coordination meetings,
communicating all relevant information to appropriate staff (Case
Managers, Coordinators, Managers, etc.).
Competencies (Knowledge, skills, and abilities)
To perform the essential functions of this job successfully, an
individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Problem solving/critical thinking/crisis intervention-the
individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and
gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Interpersonal skills-the individual maintains confidentiality,
remains open to others' ideas, and exhibits willingness to try new
- Compassionate and empathic service provision-the individual
provides caring, quality support to residents, staff, and
- Oral communication-the individual speaks clearly and
persuasively in positive or negative situations; demonstrates group
presentation skills and conducts meetings.
- Written communication-the individual presents data effectively
and is able to read and interpret written information.
- Computer skills - the individual demonstrates basic knowledge
of Microsoft Outlook and Word, timekeeping system, Internet
searching, keyboarding, and ability to learn other specialized
- Planning/organizing-the individual prioritizes and plans work
activities, uses time efficiently, and develops realistic action
- Performance quality-the individual demonstrates accuracy and
thoroughness and monitors own work.
- Adaptability/flexibility-the individual adapts to changes in
the work environment, manages competing demands, and is able to
deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Dependability-the individual is consistently at work and on
time, follows instructions, responds to management direction, and
solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Safety and security-the individual actively promotes and
personally observes safety and security procedures, and uses
equipment and materials properly. Qualifications
Education, Experience, and Other Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in a related field; OR, Associates degree in
a related field plus two (2) years of related experience; OR, High
School Diploma plus four (4) years of related experience.
- Prefer experience in family violence programs.
- Ability to obtain a Level I Fingerprint Clearance Card, CPR,
and First Aid certification.
- Valid Arizona Driver License, proof of automobile insurance,
and Motor Vehicle Record acceptable to Sojourner Center's insurance
- Bilingual Spanish-English preferred.
Sojourner Center is dedicated to the principles of equal employment
opportunity. We prohibit unlawful discrimination against applicants
or employees on the basis of age 40 and over, race, sex, color,
religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic
information and the statuses protected by Title VII of the Civil
Rights Act of 1964. In addition, Sojourner Center prohibits
unlawful discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and
gender identity or expression.
Keywords: Sojourner Center, Phoenix , Shelter Advocate - Overnight, Other , Phoenix, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...