Shelter Assistant: Family Shelter, 2nd shift, 2-10pm
Company: UMOM New Day Centers
Posted on: November 26, 2022
Hiring Pay Range: $16-$17 per hourPosition Description: Shelter
Assistants are the friendly first faces anyone sees when
interacting at a UMOM New Day Center shelter. You're a great
candidate for this position if you are passionate about providing
stellar customer-focused service, consider yourself a "people
person," and thrive in a team environment where you are relied upon
and your work impacts others. At the core of all they do in this
role, shelter assistants promote an environment of safety and
support, and embrace a trauma-informed care model in their
interactions with clients. Wondering what that looks and feels like
on a daily basis? Read on!As a Shelter Assistant you should be
prepared for days that include a variety of tasks and interactions.
Your tasks may include sitting at the reception desk checking
clients in and out, answering the phone and routing calls,
accepting donations from community members, helping to monitor
client moves into/out of the shelter, doing room checks to ensure
client well-being and safety, helping with meal delivery and
special events, walking around the shelter to identify needs of
clients and/or the facility, and generally supporting the needs of
and relationships with clients, staff, and UMOM visitors throughout
your shift. Some days will be hard - you might have to work with
your teammates to de-escalate a tough situation with a client or
remind yourself that a client's interaction with you is the result
of their past and current experiences not a personal attack on your
skills and abilities. Just like any job, there will be times when
the work doesn't feel all that exciting. However, most of the time
there's a lot going on and the work you do (yes, even the boring
stuff) is always contributing to meeting our mission of ending
homelessness.If you're looking for a job that allows you to do
impactful work that supports people, we want you to apply! If
you're looking for a job that will provide you with experience
working in social services, we want you to apply! If you're looking
for a job where you'll learn valuable skills which are
transferrable to a variety of future positions within this industry
and beyond, we want you to apply! If you're looking to work for an
organization that wants to support your desire for professional
growth and development, we want you to apply! If you're looking for
a job where people will depend on you, embrace your energy and your
calm, and appreciate the value you'll add to a work environment
always looking to improve, we want you to apply!Essential Duties
- Provides friendly customer service to participants, volunteers,
guests, and UMOM team members.
- Answers all phone calls and transfers to the appropriate person
- Provides answers, when possible, to questions regarding
programs offered by UMOM to participants, volunteers, guests, and
UMOM team members.
- Offers support, assistance, and encouragement to all
participants in shelter by helping to meet immediate basic
- De-escalates conflict in a safe and appropriate manner,
responding to crisis as necessary by contacting on-call leadership,
police, fire department and/or crisis team as needed.
- Assists with receiving donations, facility clean-up, submission
of work orders, and assists with events.
- Supports participants in understanding and following the
program expectations and policies, providing written documentation
- Engages participants when appropriate to connect them with
resources and case management.
- Monitors shelter site to ensure the safety and security of all
participants by completing rounds and wellness checks.
- Conducts room checks and room searches for health and safety of
- Monitors participant move-outs.
- Provides hygiene supplies, personal mail and packages to
participants, and document when appropriate.
- Oversees the traffic and communication related to shelter
operations ensuring all proper procedures are
followed.Qualification and Competency Requirements: Experience and
- High school diploma or GED equivalent required
- One year of professional experience in social services
- Previous experience working with low-income/at-risk/homeless
individuals or vulnerable populations preferredComputer skills
- Proficiency with applications including Microsoft Word, Excel,
Power Point, and OutlookCompliance
- Valid Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card or the ability to
obtain onePhysical Activities and Working ConditionsThe physical
demands and working conditions described here are representative,
but not exhaustive, of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Ability to lift at least twenty pounds when receiving mail
packages, donations, moving client supplies, and other tasks
relevant to the position
- Ability to ascend and descend one flight of stairs
- Ability to perform duties outdoors in all weather
- Ability to perform duties requiring extended periods of time
being stationary manipulating client files, a computer (keyboard,
monitor, mouse), and other standard office equipment including, but
not limited to printer, copier, telephone, and associated
computer/technology peripherals.Additional Attributes
- Willingness to embrace and actively support the unique culture
and values of UMOM
- Ability to focus on the tasks and details relevant to the
position and the organization, while also switching quickly between
- Ability to exercise excellent independent judgment and take
ownership of decisions.
- Ability to think on a broad, systems-level relative to the
scope of the position.
- Ability to work independently and self-manage to achieve goals
while being a strong team player.
- Ability to organize, meet deadlines, and delegate
- Ability to cope with and embrace change, risk, and
- Ability to develop strong relationships within a fast-paced,
collaborative setting that values diverse opinions; enthusiasm for
helping drive change as UMOM becomes a more data-driven
organization.Work Schedule: The typical schedule for this position
is 5 days a week with 2 consecutive days off and includes work on
weekends and holidays.Other: Please note this job description is
not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of
activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the
employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may
change at any time with or without notice. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
Keywords: UMOM New Day Centers, Phoenix , Shelter Assistant: Family Shelter, 2nd shift, 2-10pm, Other , Phoenix, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!