Assistant Staff Archaeologist
Company: SWCA Environmental Consultants
Posted on: January 16, 2022
About the opportunity:SWCA Environmental Consultants is seeking
an Assistant Staff Archaeologist to join us in our Phoenix office.
This is an hourly, full-time position. The Assistant Staff
Archaeologist will assist with cultural resources management work
within the greater Phoenix area and across Arizona. Successful
candidates will assist with conducting archaeological fieldwork
(including pedestrian survey, site identification, site recording /
data collection, monitoring and data recovery excavations) and
office-based tasks (preparation of site forms, writing technical
reports, occasional lab analysis) to support our Phoenix office.
There may also be opportunities to support our other AZ offices as
the need arises.
What you will accomplish:
- Conduct fieldwork for long hours in various environments
including, but not limited to, extreme temperatures, inclement
weather, and rugged terrain.
- Carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Available for local projects and fieldwork requiring extended
travel (staying in a hotel or camping for up to 8 days at a
- Accurately identify historic and prehistoric artifacts and
- Assist with cultural resource records searches, laboratory
analysis tasks, and other office work, as needed.
- Review collected data for QA/QC, and ensure all work is
conducted and submitted in accordance with company standards and
- Work independently in a responsible manner.
- Work as a productive member of a team and follow the direction
of the field supervisor.
- Follow all health and safety procedures, including COVID-19
safety protocolsExperience and qualifications for success:
- Bachelor's degree in Anthropology, Archaeology, or a related
- Completed an archaeology Field School focusing on North
American archaeological methods and cultural resources
- Ability to travel and conduct fieldwork for long hours
(sometimes in inclement weather, rugged terrain, and at high
altitudes) and to carry equipment weighing up to 40 pounds.
- Extremely organized and meticulous with ensuring survey,
documentation, and paperwork are complete.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and technical
- Currently reside in Arizona or plans to relocate to Arizona in
the immediate future.
- Must have a valid driver's license, the ability to pass a Motor
Vehicle background screening, and have access to reliable
- Prior experience working in cultural resource management
- Experience collecting field data utilizing modern mobile
technology (tablets, Bluetooth GPS receivers, mobile software) and
Trimble GPS units (Terrasync and/or ArcPad).
- Experience with computer-based programs such as Pathfinder
Office, ArcGIS Desktop, Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat, and
- Experience writing technical archaeology reports.
- Knowledge of federal and state preservation laws and
regulations including, but not limited to the National
Environmental Policy Act, Native American Graves Protection and
Repatriation Act, and Section 106 and Section 110 of the National
Historic Preservation Act.
- CPR and First Aid certified.Why Work at SWCA?
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm,
providing a full-spectrum of environmental services. Our Vision
(the North Star) is to make SWCA the best workplace and industry
leader in sustainability, bringing sound science and creative
solutions to global environmental challenges while maintaining a
dedication to employee-ownership. We live our core values: we
collaborate as #OneSWCA; we are #AlwaysLearning, we #NeverSettle,
and we #GiveBack.
We are 100% employee-owned, and we build our success together. With
offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest
environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering
News-Record's Top 200 Environmental Firms. We offer a supportive,
team-oriented work environment and competitive wages and benefits,
including an 100% employee stock ownership plan (retirement).
At SWCA, we are always learning. Our employees have the ability to
develop and guide their careers to make them leaders in the
industry. Our Career Landscape is a unique and interactive program
that allows you to develop professionally and chart your career
path for a rewarding career at SWCA. We encourage professional
conference attendance, internal and external professional
development and training programs, education reimbursement, a
Science and Leadership Program, and bonuses for publications
meeting certain criteria.
If you are seeking an opportunity to work in a culture of
exceptionally skilled and diverse professionals who embrace sound
science and creative solutions, then SWCA will be a great fit for
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of
our website or need assistance completing the application process,
please email email@example.com or call 480-581-5378. This
contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot
be used to inquire about the status of applications.
SWCA operates in compliance with all federal, state, and local
COVID-19 safety protocols and vaccination requirements. As such,
employment at SWCA is contingent upon providing proof of
vaccination against COVID-19 or being granted an approved
vaccination exemption before starting at SWCA.
SWCA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages
women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to
Keywords: SWCA Environmental Consultants, Phoenix , Assistant Staff Archaeologist, Other , Phoenix, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!