Risk Program Manager
Company: Phoenix Children's Hospital
Posted on: October 11, 2021
The Risk Program Manager collaborates with senior leaders and key
stakeholders or experts, (e.g., Clinical Operations, Patient
Safety, Supply Chain, Legal, and Regulatory Services), throughout
PCH to develop system-wide responses to risk issues that impact
specific groups or the entire organization with
policies/procedures, guidelines, tools, forms, and
education/training. In addition, this position serves as a liaison
between patients, families, and all hospital departments,
facilitating conflict management and complaint resolution to
achieve optimal communication between patients and healthcare
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child
first and values the family as an important member of the care
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share
our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care
today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for
providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
- I. Develops risk mitigation strategies based on analysis of
relevant data (e.g. claims, complaints/grievances, Serious
Reportable Events, and risk assessments). Investigates and analyzes
potential and actual professional liability exposures in the
organization; evaluate the extent and elements of exposure and
recommend appropriate actions for risk mitigation
- a.Works in conjunction with the Quality Management and
operational leaders in the investigation of potential or actual
events/concerns. Participates in root cause analysis (RCA), Failure
Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA), or risk mitigation and
- b.Supports the Risk Management and Quality Management teams in
error prevention efforts by investigating and analyzing events and
trends, and communicates findings to appropriate
- c.Develops processes and benchmarks to monitor the
effectiveness of risk mitigation strategies.
- d.Collaborates with Risk Management and Quality Management
staff in developing periodic in-services, teleconferences, face-to
face meetings and work groups regarding health care risk management
and related topics.
- e.Performs risk assessments and audits in various clinical
settings and coordinates development of clinical loss prevention
plans for PCH based on event or claims analysis. Assumes an active
role in on-boarding newly acquired practices and mitigating
potential liabilities using risk assessment tools.
- f.Assists Quality Management in gathering information requested
by regulatory agencies, in regards to complaints/grievances, and
event investigations. Assists Quality Management in the
identification of policies/procedures, and other information that
identifies and supports organizational efforts in response to
- II. Under the direction of Risk Management Leadership and PCH
Counsel, investigate and analyze potential and actual professional
liability exposures in the organization; evaluate the extent and
elements of exposure and recommend appropriate actions for risk
- a. Ensures the quality of legal services for HPL lawsuits and
the efficient use of funds
- allocated for legal expenses by directing the activities of
outside defense counsel,
- performing internal audits of defense legal services and
- strategic alternatives and opportunities for early
mediation/resolution of claims and
- b. Serves as a liaison between Counsel, other business units
and external contacts to
- coordinate and expedite legal matters to ensure discovery and
other related documents
- are prepared and executed accurately and in a timely manner.
- related to meetings, depositions, mediations, and other legal
activities and ensures the
- litigation calendar is up to date.
- c. In conjunction with the Risk Management Director, will keep
PCH Risk Management Leadership and General Counsel regularly
apprised of all significant developments in claims and litigation
matters. Such leaders shall be consulted sufficiently in advance of
the date by which any significant decision must be made regarding a
particular matter. This includes obtaining settlement authority and
discussing any other discovery or public relations topics.
- d. Collaborates in the completion of notifications and
financial recommendations needed for compliance with tracking and
insurer requirements, including excess insurance carrier
notifications, reserve recommendations, and any federal, state, or
entity reporting requirements (including SMDA, MMSEA Section 111,
DataBank, etc.) as necessary.
- e. Provides oversight and maintains the accuracy and integrity
of documentation in the Risk Management System (RMIS). Ensures that
the claims/litigation files and other documentation are organized,
clear, concise, and timely updated.
- Works with clinical leaders to manage complex or unresolved
complaints and grievances.
- a.Researches medical records, policies and procedures to gather
information required for the resolution of
- b.Supports operational leaders in implementing and sustaining
patient experience improvement initiatives. Is a key partner is
supporting the culture of patient and family centered care.
- c.Initiates rounding on patients and staff and prioritizes
focused re-visits to improve the patient and family
- d.Works with clinical leaders to ensure a written response to
grievances in accordance with applicable policies and
- IV. Provides on-call assistance for emergent/urgent risk
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.
Keywords: Phoenix Children's Hospital, Phoenix , Risk Program Manager, Other , Laveen, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!