Assistant General Counsel, Litigation and Labor Employment
Company: Align Technology, Inc.
Posted on: February 24, 2021
Assistant General Counsel, Litigation and Labor Employment
- US-Arizona-Tempe-Corp HQ
- 22564 Job Description Join a team that is changing millions of
lives. Transforming smiles. Transforming lives. Transforming an
industry. At-- Align Technology , we believe a great smile can
transform a person's life, so we create technology that gives
people the confidence to take on whatever's next. We revolutionized
the orthodontic industry with the introduction of the Invisalign
system, and we have never lost sight of that spirit of innovation.
Our teams are constantly pushing the boundaries of what's possible.
Ready to join us? About this opportunity We are looking for an
exceptionally qualified Associate General Counsel, Global
Litigation, Labor and Employment, with a deep understanding of
global labor & employment law with significant litigation
experience to effectively lead Align's labor, employment and
litigation strategies. This attorney will serve as a key advisor to
the Human Resources team as well as other business functions. The
successful candidate should be able to operate autonomously and
comfortably within a fast-paced, quickly evolving environment. You
are intellectually astute, analytically precise, have a strong bias
for pragmatism and possess a broad range of experiences. Location:
Phoenix, Arizona In this role, you will---
- P rovide high-quality legal advice in a timely fashion to the
General Counsel, in-house legal teams, and Human Resources on the
full spectrum of global labor & employment related matters, which
include HR issues, wage and hour law, workers compensation,
unemployment, ERISA, state agency claims, administrative charges,
labor relations, OFCCP and affirmative action, diversity and
inclusion, employee benefits, immigration, employment agreements,
employee mobility, employee privacy, cash and equity compensation,
pension and retirement benefits, non-competition provisions,
severance and change of control, ex-patriate assignments, FMLA
matters, health and safety, employment-related litigation,
investigations, works council, grievances and arbitrations.
- Provide leadership, advice, and creative solutions regarding
the Company's compliance with the myriad of domestic and
international, federal, state, and local laws that govern the
employment relationship and the workplace.
- Establish and maintain relationships, credibility and trust
with clients, stakeholders, legal team members and other colleagues
across a multi-cultural business environment with demonstrated
- Conduct audits of employment practices to ensure
- Draft policies and procedures and educate clients and
stakeholders on legal matters.
- Develop, prepare, and deliver training and educational
materials on labor and employment matters such as compliance with
various regulations in the US and internationally for the legal
team and HR Department.
- Collaborate with business partners to review and ensure legally
compliant HR and business policies, procedures, standard forms,
plans and related materials.
- Develop and devise best practices, tools, guidelines, programs,
and solutions that can be efficiently implemented across multiple
- Lead and support employee representative structures, including
works councils, and positive employee relations
- Perform legal research; provide guidance on compliance with,
and interpretation of, applicable laws and regulations.
- Identify and assess legal risks and opportunities within the
labor & employment area and advise accordingly, which will include
monitoring international employment law developments.
- Manage and evaluate use of outside counsel on employment
related matters and litigation.
- Provide Legal support for finance department (including global
corporate securities and compliance reporting; tax impacts of
compensation arrangements; governance and insurance for labor and
employment matters ; and stock administration teams), the corporate
communications department, and the executive compensation/human
- Support the stock administration team, including review and
revision of equity plans and compliance with local securities
- Manage employment and labor litigation matters, including the
development and execution of effective litigation management
(including discovery) and settlement strategies. Assist in the
negotiation and resolution of pre-litigation employment related
- Develop and provide exceptional crisis management guidance and
- Advise on the company's diversity and inclusion initiatives,
including its corporate social responsibility and governance
- Pro-actively manage and supervise of all aspects of Align's
outside counsel relationships, including staffing, litigation
strategy, work product, budgets, and developing initiatives for
- Direct all facets of litigation, including internal
investigations, discovery, witness identification and preparation,
revising legal briefs, development and execution of case and trial
strategy, and negotiating and drafting settlements.
- Manage a diverse range of litigation and pre-litigation matters
in a wide range of practice areas and in numerous jurisdictions in
which the company does business.
- Provide strategic direction on existing litigation and disputes
that could lead to litigation.
- Assist in developing litigation strategies to achieve business
objectives, as well as creative approaches to resolving disputes,
and to ensure goal alignment across various business teams.
Maintain a culture with a high degree of emphasis on dignity,
respect, and inclusion.
- Independently handle legal matters and projects ranging from
basic to complex and perform other tasks as assigned from
time-to-time by the SVP, Chief Legal and Regulatory Officer. In
this role, you'll need ---
- High degree of skill as a labor & employment lawyer, with the
ability to prioritize, manage a heavy workload and meet deadlines
in a fast-paced, high volume, time-sensitive environment.
- Exceptional and proven in house litigation management
- Expertise managing employment, anti-trust, commercial and
- Excellent written and verbal communications and interpersonal
skills within and across departments and externally; must be
proactive in providing counsel to clients with the ability to
inspire confidence from clients. Comfortable with public
- Sound judgment; ability to clearly make reasoned decisions and
recommendations and determine who should be kept informed.
- Self-starter with good business acumen and a sense of urgency,
honesty and fairness.
- Demonstrate leadership and strong relationship management
skills. Ability to build and maintain productive relationships with
leaders of other functional areas within and across the business
areas to seek alignment on objectives for the benefit of
- Experience handling labor & employment matters before
international as well as domestic federal and state courts and
- A willingness and the ability to work in a global environment,
which includes handling calls outside normal working hours on a
- Ability to effectively navigate and work efficiently in a
matrix, multidisciplinary organization.
- High integrity and ethics in all dealings.
- Able to travel domestically and internationally (up to
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school with active bar
membership in one U.S. state bar, preferably CA.
- 10+ years of experience in global, labor & employment law and
litigation with a corporate law department and recognized law firm.
California, Arizona, North Carolina, European and APAC labor &
employment law experience a plus.
- Good sense of humor, openness to learning, resiliency and
collaborative personality. Sound like a good fit? Great! Click the
Apply link below to let us know you are interested. Not the right
fit? Don't worry, there are lots more opportunities. Please
consider sharing this opportunity with others in your network.
About Align Invisalign clear aligners, iTero Intraoral scanners,
and OrthoCAD digital services that help dental professionals
achieve the clinical results they expect and deliver effective,
cutting-edge dental options to their patients. At Align, we believe
in the power of a smile, and we know that every--smile is--as
unique as--our employees. As we grow, we will continue building a
workforce of diverse cultural backgrounds and life experiences and
fostering a culture--of open-mindedness and compassion
for--all--our--employees. We live our company values by promoting
healthy people and healthy communities. All with the intent of
changing millions of lives, one unique smile at a time. US EEO
Statement:----- Align Technology is an equal opportunity employer.
We recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote regardless of
race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression,
sexual orientation, national origin,--genetics, age, veteran--or
disability status. Over the past few months numerous agencies
around the world have issued a wave of consumer and business
communications warning of third-party job-hunting scams. An influx
of coronavirus-related job scams, phishing e-mails and cyberattacks
by individuals and criminal groups are increasingly reported by the
media and law enforcement. The pandemic driven job scams aim to
capitalize on challenges in finding employment opportunities during
the coronavirus and on disruption to normal recruiting operations
We take these warnings very seriously and want to remind you that
these criminals are impersonating recruiters, promising employment
opportunities or employment in exchange for personal information,
bank account numbers, credit card numbers or financial
remuneration. Align Technology does not require jobseekers to
provide bank account numbers, credit card numbers or payments. If
you have any doubt whether an individual or placement agency is
acting on our behalf, please contact Align Technology at
https://www.aligntechnology.com/contact_us . We can verify whether
we are hiring through the service.
Keywords: Align Technology, Inc., Phoenix , Assistant General Counsel, Litigation and Labor Employment, Legal , Phoenix, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!