Senior Engineer, Process Development and Automation - Next-gen Sequencing
Company: Exact Sciences
Posted on: February 12, 2024
Help us change lives At Exact Sciences, we're helping -change
how the world prevents, detects and guides treatment for cancer. We
give patients and clinicians the clarity needed to make confident
decisions when they matter most. Join our team to find a
purpose-driven career, an inclusive culture, and robust benefits to
support your life while you're working to help others. Position
Overview The Senior Engineer, Process Development and Automation
coordinates, manages, implements, and provides technical
engineering support for a variety of process automation hardware,
software applications, and laboratory instruments. - This position
works and collaborates cross-functionally with internal and
external partners to enhance existing workflows and develop new
automated workflows in a complex, rapidly evolving clinical
laboratory. - The Senior Engineer responsibilities may include
assisting Lab Service, Process Development and Automation, and
Laboratory Operations teams in the process of selecting automation,
system design, integration, commissioning, and project
documentation. Once resources are identified, this role can get a
project off the ground and running with minimal support from
management. The Senior Engineer, Process Development and Automation
can make new processes, systems, validation methods or projects
successful. Essential Duties include but are not limited to the
- Contributes ideas and insights to new technologies, testing
methodologies, applications, techniques, or procedures that are
creative and practical.
- Provides input for project design & development.
- Accurately estimates task effort, including work by
- Develops process architectures and functional specifications
based on user and workflow requirements.
- Leads planning activities and conducts complex engineering
design, platform eligibility testing, systems integration, or
- Makes decisions that involve the consideration of complex
- Works autonomously and checks-in with supervisor/project lead
as decisions are made.
- Responds to change with flexibility and adapts quickly.
- Discusses and presents factual information to other members of
the same organization; Ability to convey very complex information
in both written and oral form.
- Actively and constructively contributes to other's designs
through design reviews within same organization.
- Facilitates reuse by communicating available technologies and
opportunities within the organization.
- Able to influence others and gain acceptance and build
- Ability to manage moderately complex projects and initiatives,
typically within one platform or business organization.
- Acts as a mentor / role model for junior team members on
- Ability to apply project leadership skills in planning,
delegating, influencing, and managing priorities.
- Beginning to demonstrate leadership behaviors: humility, will,
best team and vision.
- Demonstrates understanding of company's internal and external
customer needs and how they affect business unit products and
- Brings company and industry knowledge as well as creative
technical/scientific skills to product creation; recognized as a
content, sub-discipline specialist across the company.
- Work with project managers and cross-functional teams on user
requirements, factory acceptance tests, validation planning, site
acceptance tests, pre-installation planning, initial installation,
setup, maintenance, and improvement for new or upgraded
instrumentation and automation systems.
- Independently address routine issues utilizing documented
procedures and researching historical cases.
- Provide support and response to complex system problems,
counseling the internal and external vendors and Laboratory Service
Engineers on corrective and preventative actions.
- Provide mentoring and technical guidance to service engineers,
laboratory technicians, and other members of the Process
Development and Automation team.
- Maintain oversight for quality of both mechanical repairs and
- Lead recommendation and implementation changes to ensure
ongoing high-quality performance of laboratory equipment.
- Lead technical investigation and troubleshooting of laboratory
- Lead continuous improvement projects that drive cost reduction
and lab efficiency.
- Ensure both new and existing instrumentation automation and
non-automation meet safety requirements and compliance
- Maintain records and follow laboratory procedures to meet
regulatory requirements such as FDA, CLIA, and/or CAP.
- Maintain and continuously develop personal knowledge and
expertise related to the service of complex clinical laboratory
- Ability to manage time effectively between competing
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
- Ability to manage and adhere to maintenance schedule.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and
draw data driven conclusions.
- Have demonstrated ability to follow procedures and maintain
- Have demonstrated ability to manage time and competing
- Must be highly motivated and able to work both independently
and as a member of a team.
- Adaptable, open to change and able to work in ambiguous
situations and respond to new information and unexpected
- Proven capability to take scientific bench protocols from the
bench to automation system.
- Effectively communicate issues/problems and results that impact
timelines, accuracy, and reliability of data.
- A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected including
the ability to multi-task and work productively in a demanding
environment with changing priorities.
- Uphold company mission and values through accountability,
innovation, integrity, quality, and teamwork.
- Support and comply with the company's Quality Management System
policies and procedures.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Occasional evening and weekend work may be required.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds for
- Ability to work seated for approximately 80% of a typical
- Ability to work standing for approximately 20% of a typical
- Ability to work in front of a computer screen and/or perform
typing for approximately 80% of a typical working day.
- Ability to comply with all applicable personal protective
- Ability to travel approximately 10% of working time for
occasional training, out of state vendor site visits, and travel
between Exact Sciences sites. Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or related field; or
Associates degree in Engineering, Technology, Electronics, or
similar field and 2 years of experience.
- 6+ years of experience in engineering or relevant
- Possesses advanced knowledge of engineering theories, practices
and procedures and applies this knowledge and skills to complete
- Authorization to work in the United States without
- Demonstrated ability to perform the Essential Duties of the
position with or without accommodation. Preferred Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or related field and 10+ years
of relevant experience; or Associates degree in Engineering,
Technology, Electronics, or similar field with 12+ years of
relevant industry experience.
- Technical proficiency and experience in automation, system
development, and integration in a laboratory environment.
- Experience in process optimization involving complex workflows
comprising both system equipment and software components to ensure
user and business requirements are met.
- Experience working in a CAP/CLIA and/or other regulated
- Advanced knowledge of database, laboratory information
management systems, and other file management applications. #LI-JB1
#LI-JB1 Salary Range: $125,000.00 - $201,000.00 The annual base
salary shown is for this position located in US - AZ - Phoenix on a
full-time basis. In addition, this position is bonus eligible, and
is eligible to receive company stock upon hire as well as annually.
Exact Sciences is proud to offer an employee experience that
includes paid time off (including days for vacation, holidays,
volunteering, and personal time), paid leave for parents and
caregivers, a retirement savings plan, wellness support, and health
benefits including medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision
coverage. Learn more about our benefits. Our success relies on the
experiences and perspectives of a diverse team, and Exact Sciences
fosters a culture where all employees can develop personally and
professionally with a sense of respect and belonging. If you
require an accommodation, email email@example.com. We'll work
with you to meet your accessibility needs. Not ready to apply? Join
our talent community and stay up to date on what's new at Exact
Sciences. We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity,
national origin, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex,
sexual orientation, and any other status protected by applicable
local, state, or federal law. Any applicant or employee may request
to view applicable portions of the company's affirmative action
program. To view the Right to Work, E-Verify Employer, and Pay
Transparency notices and Federal, Federal Contractor, and State
employment law posters, visit our compliance hub. The documents
summarize important details of the law and provide key points that
you have a right to know.
Keywords: Exact Sciences, Phoenix , Senior Engineer, Process Development and Automation - Next-gen Sequencing, Engineering , Phoenix, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!