Location: Gila Bend
Posted on: January 27, 2023
Description: This position provides technical support to the
operations, maintenance and planning departments by identifying and
resolving areas of concern relating to plant performance, operation
and the reliability and efficiency of the solar generating
facility. These tasks are accomplished through the interpretation
of plant performance data from different systems and the
development and implementation of plans and procedures needed to
optimize and enhance plant production and reliability. The position
will also support normal maintenance and plant retrofit/outage
activities including preventive, predictive and corrective
maintenance of plant equipment and cost benefit analysis. In
addition, the performance engineer is responsible for generating
production projections and actual results of the solar generating
facility based upon weather forecasts and equipment availability.
These projections are distributed to management for planning and
externally to the power utility and owner. The position will
maintain effective ongoing relationships with the plant management
team including the engineering manager, operations manager,
maintenance manager, planner, plant manager and corporate
operations departments. This position is based at the plant site.
The job may require working non-standard hours. Some travel to
other plant sites, offices, or vendor locations may be required for
training or other purposes. Requirements: Primary Duties and
- Plant performance assessment - conduct systematic performance
analysis and reporting on a daily basis on the results and
deviations detected. Identify opportunities for performance
improvement by analyzing plant data from different systems (power
cycle, solar field and thermal energy storage), making mass & heat
balances of the process, modeling, simulating and other
- Generate daily production forecasts based on weather forecasts
to be internally and externally distributed.
- Develop tools and models to be used for the different
performance assessment activities such as performance optimization
and production projections.
- Collaborating with the power utility to optimize the use of the
thermal energy storage system. Develop and optimize new generation
profiles that adapt better to the grid energy demand curve without
penalizing the power plant efficiency in excess. Other Duties and
- Assist operation department in continually monitoring overall
plant equipment performance to recommend best operating practices
and initiate changes to improve plant performance to ensure that
key energy consumption and production targets are met.
- Assist control department in defining, developing and fine
tuning control logic to optimize the overall performance of the
- Generate Management of Change (MOC) documents to address plant
performance issues as required, complete engineering aspects of MOC
- Prepare and collect all the information and the required
technical documentation for the O&M activities, ensuring it
successful control and / or management. Prerequisites:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering with emphasis in energy
systems, heat transfer, thermodynamics or similar. Master's
- 0-3 years of experience desired.
- Knowledge of steam power cycles, ASME process piping, pump
design and application.
- Knowledge of systems control is desired, PID, PLC and DCS, but
not absolutely needed.
- Experience in power plant operation and maintenance. Skills and
- Proficient with Excel and MS Office.
- Ability to carry out detailed instructions with limited
supervision - self-motivated.
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving abilities. Use of
judgment and creativity to solve problems efficiently.
- Effective listening
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Tolerant and flexible to different situations.
- Ability to work and interact with departments throughout the
- Highly effective in team-focused environments.
- Have a strong desire to make a measurable positive impact to
- Have a strong desire to obtain hands on experience in a plant
- Bilingual in English and Spanish a plus. PI201251620
Keywords: Atlantica, Phoenix , PERFORMANCE ENGINEER, Engineering , Gila Bend, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!